Precautions when cleaning ceramic and porcelain tiles:
- Before choosing a cleaning solution, be sure to test the solution in an inconspicuous area to ensure color fastness and effectiveness of the product.
- Avoid using anything abrasive (steel wool, scouring powder, etc.), as they may damage the finish of your ceramic tile.
- Avoid using bleach or ammonia-based cleaners, as these are known to cause grout discoloration.
- Wipe off stains as soon as possible.
- Mop regularly.
- On a cautious note: test the cleaning solutions in an inconspicuous area before proceeding.
How to clean ceramic tiles
Ceramic is generally considered a low maintenance material. A little hot water is usually all that’s needed. For accumulations of debris or splashing, we recommend using cleansers that are “pH neutral” because they will not harm the finish of your ceramic or discolor grout. A great product: Fila Neutral – concentrate (available at Tilmar).
Maintenance and regular care
One of the most important things is to make sure to clean up spills immediately as they may discolor the grout or damage the finish of your ceramic. Dirt is your biggest enemy when it comes to ceramic tiles. If dirt builds up, the chances of scratching or increasing the visibility of imperfections can significantly affect your installation. Any accumulation of dirt and debris must be cleaned regularly.
- Regularly sweep tiles to remove any dust or dirt particles.
- Vacuum before mopping. Clean floors once a week (or more in high traffic areas) with hot water.
Considering tiles are already protected from any smears or liquids that the tiles may be subjected to, here is a simple strategy for tile maintenance. Please note that the maintenance schedule is in large part pertaining to the grout used since that is the most susceptible area in lobby floors to accumulate unwanted dirt and debris. We recommend FILA products that we supply here from Italy. Here is the information:
|Equipment||Rag or mop. Floor cleaning machines for wide surfaces|
|Procedure||For maintenance, wash the surface with FILA CLEANER diluted depending on the level of dirt. When highly diluted (1:200) it does not require rinsing. When diluted 1:200 this product can be used with a floor cleaning machine.|
|If diluted 1:200, 1 L per 16150 sq ft|
Extra maintenance surfaces
|Products||FILA PS87 dil. 1:5|
|Equipment||Floor cleaning brush and rag for manual maintenance. Single disc professional cleaner for machine maintenance|
|Procedure||Remove the dirt using FILA PS87.|
|If diluted 1:5, 1 L per 200 sq ft|
Tilmar Tip: A good practice is changing mop water every 500 or so sqft! This simple step is excellent in avoiding the accumulation of dirt on your tile surface and grout joints.